Jodi L Brown - Victim’s Assistance
- Mailing Address
BROWN COUNTY CRIME VICTIM’S ASSISTANT
22 COURT ST SUITE 2
ABERDEEN, SD 57401
- Phone: (605) 626-7130
- Fax: (605) 626-7132
Brown County Crime Victim’s Assistance is a one-person department located in the Brown County State Attorney’s Office and is authorized by the Brown County Commission to assist victims of crime as they work through the criminal justice system from arrest through prosecution.
The Brown County Crime Victim Assistant will assist victims as follows:
- Notify victims of court dates;
- Explain what the charges mean;
- Explain the criminal justice system;
- Assist victims in filling out applications for South Dakota Crime Victim’s Compensation;
- Assist victims in communication their needs, wishes, and restitution requests;
- Refer victims to community services, including, but not limited to, counseling, social services, food, shelter, legal services, and Safe Harbor; and
- Accompanying victims to victim when needed.
The Brown County Crime Victim Assistant offers services to victims of crimes included under the South Dakota Crime Victims Compensation Program. These crimes include:
- Crimes of violence (SDCL 22-1-2(9)) such as murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, rape, riot, robbery, first degree burglary, kidnapping, arson, and felony sexual contact as defined by SDCL 22-22-7, felony child abuse as defined by SDCL 26-10-1, or any other felony in the commission of which the perpetrator used force, or was armed with a dangerous weapon, or used any explosive or destructive device.
- Domestic violence, which is simple assault or aggravated assault between family or household members as defined by SDCL 25-10-1(2);
- Violation of protection orders;
- Violations of no contact;
- False imprisonment; and
- Interference with emergency communication; Threatening or harassing phone calls.
The Brown County Victim Assistant also offers services to victims of simple assault and certain other crimes resulting in physical injury.