Gallery E-2 – Pheasant Canteen
This exhibit is a re-creation of the original canteen which was located in the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad depot on north Main Street. It was opened on Aug. 19, 1943 as a project of the American Red Cross and the USO. Its purpose was to bring food and encouragement to servicemen and women who were traveling through Aberdeen toward training facilities or deployment. An average of 500 military a day passed through Aberdeen on 4-6 trains. The canteen was known for its pheasant sandwiches. Farmers first donated the pheasants for the sandwiches and later pheasant hunts were organized to aid the canteen. After 2 1/2 years of service, the “pheasant canteen” served its last meal on March 31, 1946.
previous gallery | next gallery
back to On Exhibit maps